Founded in 1796 by will of Count Giacomo Carrara, Accademia Carrara di Belle Arti is among the most ancient academies in Italy.
Legally established since 1988 and run by the City of Bergamo, it is focused on the languages of modernity. It promotes every year workshops with internationally renowned artists and meetings with the most innovative art critic representatives. The Academy is partnered with the University of Bergamo. The partnership between Accademia di Belle Arti, Pinacoteca d’Arte Antica – sharing a common origin in 18th Century – and Galleria d’Arte Moderna e Contemporanea – inaugurated in 1991 – brings about a national art heritage centre in Bergamo.
Via Gerolamo Acerbis, 14 24022 Alzano Lombardo (BG)
ph. +39 035 4536730
FOUNDED IN 2009
DIRECTED BY Tullio Leggeri, Elena Matous Radici
HOW TO FIND US From railway station take the tram delle valli line T1, Alzano Sopra.
ALT is the acronym of Arte (art), Lavoro (work), Territorio (territory). It is a declaration of intents as well as an invitation to stop for a while in the spaces of the new Italian center of contemporary art both to reflect on art and look at the future.
What exactly is it?
An incubator and a display of the excellent energies of local creativity and access to International artistic research. Above all, it is a tool for the experimentation of contemporary art as a way of understanding and interpreting better the moment we are living.
ALT is much more than just a showcase of an original collection.
Thanks to the information and research which accompany the collection, it is a useful instrument for the territory in a philosophy of art which is neither exclusive nor elitist, as for its objective to make the society participate in the contemporary displays of artistic research. ALT is not a museum. It is an experimental space which seeks new approaches to involve the public.
Close encounters with Banca Popolare di Bergamo art collection
Curated by Enrico De Pascale
Banca Popolare di Bergamo, Piazza Vittorio Veneto n.8 – Bergamo Opening Hours from Monday to Friday: 8.20 am /1.20 pm – 2.40 / 4.10 pm
Banca Popolare di Bergamo promotes the ART UP Project, a cultural initiative aimed at the knowledge of its own artistic heritage. Every month a different artwork belonging to the Bank’s collection is showed in the hall of the Bank Headquarter at Piazza Vittorio Veneto, 8 in Bergamo.
Not only a display, but a real invite to read and enjoy the artworks through some historical and critical illustrated cards. The free and collectable cards are written for the occasion by the art historian Enrico De Pascale, curator of the Collection and the Art Up Project.
Thanks to the ART UP Project, works of Ancient and Contemporary Art, which would normally be inaccessible because they’re located in offices, branches and caveaux of the Bank, are made visible to the public.
The Bank Collection includes hundreds of artworks from XIV to XXI century (paintings, sculptures, drawings, photographies, prints, etc.) and it has been growing for almost 150 years, intertwining its growth with the story of the Bank, founded in 1869.
The wide and variegated Collection combines both local and national artistic production – Baschenis, Fra’ Galgario, Piccio, Manzù, Ghirri, Boetti – with the most avant-garde international artworks: from Anish Kapoor to Daniel Buren, from John Armleder to Liam Gillick, from Peter Halley to Yan Pei Ming, from Jan Fabre to Rudolf Stingel. The Collection represents a variety of artistic languages and expressions and it’s the result of specific choices settled in favour of the best representation of past and present artistic culture.
Banca Popolare di Bergamo, belonging to the UBI Banca Group, works through 354 banks in the provinces of Bergamo, Varese, Monza e Brianza, Como, Lecco, Milano, Brescia and Roma.
Founded in 1869, the Bank has always been a reference point in the local area, distinguishing itself for the support given to the local economy and socio-cultural initiatives.
Opening Friday, January 14th, 2011 at 6.00 p.m.
Saturday 15 and Sunday 16 from 10.00 a.m. to 8.00 p.m.
Monday 17 from 10.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m.
Bergamo Art Fair, reaching its nine edition, has selected about 100 galleries of Modern and Contemporary Art. Being set up inside the Fair centre, the event has seen the visiting public, participation requests and side initiatives (held during the opening days) steadily increasing.
Via S. Tomaso, 53 24121 Bergamo
ph. +39 035 270272
Admission times can change depending on different events
FOUNDED IN 1991
GAMeC – Galleria d’Arte Moderna e Contemporanea di Bergamo, was founded in 1991. The building it is housed in was formerly a convent built in the fifteenth century that has been completely renovated by Studio Gregotti with financial support from the Municipality of Bergamo and the bank Credito Bergamasco. The cultural policy proposed by the museum is diversified across its more than 1500 square metres of display area: temporary solo and joint exhibitions by international artists, unseen projects by upand- coming artists, historically and artistically wide-ranging exhibitions, and projects for artists tied to the local area all provide opportunities for enjoyment to those interested in contemporary art and creativity. The purpose underlying the creation of GAMeC, which is partnered by the Accademia Carrara and the Accademia Carrara di Belle Arti, was to form a pole dedicated to art in the city. Since 2000 the Galleria has been managed by the Associazione per la GAMeC – onlus, whose founding members are the Municipality of Bergamo and TenarisDalmine, with Emeritus members UBI- Banca Popolare di Bergamo and Bonaldi Motori GAMeC is moreover promoter and founder of AMACI.
Owned by the Diocese of Bergamo, the Museum was opened in 2000. Its collections consist of works (from 16th to 19th centuries) mostly of devotional character coming from the territory of the Diocese of Bergamo. The Museum is equipped with a library and a photo library specialized in history of art, they are both open to the public. Beside numerous exhibitions of ancient art, the Museum has arranged for contemporary art venues in the recently recovered premises of ex 18th century’s San Lupo Oratory facing current San Tomaso Street.